----- Original Message -----

The question can be why not use gzip and only gzip.

The SOURCES of vdsm is not something that gain much from either compression
method.
On BUILD machine it is better to have minimum requirement.

You are confusing between the RUNTIME machine and the BUILD machine if you
consider the source tarball compression and the logrotate usage.

Anyway, to distribute source in multiple formats you only need to use the
following options in Makefile.am:
---
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = dist-xz
---

And not use complex patch as you proposed.

This will produce both gz and xz tarballs, for developers to chose what to use.

It save 300K!!! does it worth it? I think no.

Regards,
Alon.