Recently I am considering to implement ipv6 support for vdsm. First of all
would like to know whether there is already someone working on this
If so, I might do something to help, however, if not, I would try to
it with suggestions from this discussion.
With ipv6 support vdsm is supposed to work properly in:
* mixed environment, in which ipv4 and ipv6 addresses coexist
* ipv6-pure environment
My idea is:
1) Provide a mechanism to setup ipv6 address configuration of a host via
XMLRPC/RestAPI. This would be done in the current ConfigNetwork module by
modifying the network-scripts/ifcfg-* of the devices. Thus the host is
able to access ipv6 network (with correct configuration).
2) For incoming spice connections, qemu is able to listen to ipv6 address,
so we use a boolean option "spice_use_ipv6" which indicates whether qemu
should listen to incoming ipv6 or ipv4 connections.
3) Make the connection with ovirt-engine(management connection) also ipv6-
compatible. This requires modifying both XMLRPC and RestAPI servers to make
them able to bind to the ipv6 address of the host. Also we need another
boolean option "use_ipv6" to indicate what is the ip version of the
4) Regarding the register process, all is the same with the current
except for if we use ipv6 to register, we should firstly set "use_ipv6" to
True, then XMLRPC and RestAPI servers would be listening on the ipv6
after vdsm restarts.
5) The management connection is supposed to be able to switch between ipv4
and ipv6 on the fly (when host is under maintenance and with proper network
configuration of the host). This requires another vdsm API.
Suggestions are always welcome. Thanks.
vdsm-devel mailing list