On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 03:24:58PM -0500, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> > > Management interface configuration is a separate issue.

But it is an important issue that has to be discussed..

> > > If we perform changes of this interface when host is in maintenance
> > > we reduce the complexity of the problem.
> > >
> > > For your specific issue, if there are two interfaces, one which is
> > > up during boot and one which is down during boot, there is no
> > > problem to bond them after boot without persisting configuration.
> >
> > how would you know which bond mode to use? which MTU?
>
> I don't understand the question.

I think I do: Alon suggests that on boot, the management interface would
not have bonding at all, and use a single nic. The switch would have to
assume that other nics in the bond are dead, and will use the only one
which is alive to transfer packets.

There is no doubt that we have to persist the vlan tag of the management
interface, and its MTU, in the extremely rare case where the network
would not alow Linux's default of 1500.

Dan.