On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 02:57:17PM -0500, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> > > No... we need it as compatibility with older engines...
> > > We keep minimum changes there for legacy, until end-of-life.
> >
> > Is there an EoL statement for oVirt-3.1?
> > We can make sure that oVirt-3.2's vdsm installs properly with
> > ovirt-3.1's vdsm-bootstrap, or even require that Engine must be
> > upgraded
> > to ovirt-3.2 before upgrading any of the hosts. Is it too harsh to
> > our
> > vast install base?  us...@ovirt.org, please chime in!
> >

> I tried to find such, but the more I dig I find that we need to support old
> legacy.

Why, exactly? Fedora gives no such guarntees (heck, I'm stuck with an
unupgradable F16). Should we be any better than our (currently single)
platform?

> > > It does not mean it should be at /var/lib/vdsm ... :)
> >
> > I don't get the joke :-(. If you mind the location, we can think of
> > somewhere else to put the core dumps. Would it be hard to reinstate a
> > parallel feature in otopi?
>
> I usually do not make any jokes...
> A global system setting should not go into package specific location.
> Usually core dumps are off by default, I like this approach as unattended
> system may fast consume all disk space because of dumps.

If a host fills up with dumps so quickly, it's a sign that it should not
be used for production, and that someone should look into the cores.
(P.S. we have a logrotate rule for them in vdsm)

> If sysadmin manually enables dumps, he may do this at a location of his own
> choice.

Note that we've just swapped hats: you're arguing for letting a local
admin log in and mess with system configuration, and I'm for keeping a
centralized feature for storing and collecting core dumps.