So from what I gather the only thing that is bothering you is that storage
operations require a lot of IDs.
I get that, I hate that to. It doesn't change the point that it was designed
that way.
Even if you deem some use cases irrelevant it wouldn't change the fact that
this is how people use it now.
And because we are going to throw it away as soon as we can there is no reason
to shape out API around that.

So from what I gather we agree on instancing.

---

From this moment on I'm going to try my best to explain how VDSM storage
currently works.
It is filled with misdirection and bad design. I hope that after that you will
understand why you can't pack all the IDs together.

Let's start with the storage pool. Because it was simpler to have all metadata
changing operations run on the same host someone needed to find a way to make
cross domain operations work on the same host.
The solution was to band them all to a single entity call the storage pool and
have a single lock. The point was to have a host be able to connect to multiple
pools at a time.
Due to bad code (that could have been easily not have been so bad) the multiple
pools feature was never implemented. Because the single lock to rule them all
doesn't really work when you want to secure domain we had to add more locks
making the pool concept obsolete.

These means that you can trust VDSM to only be connected to a single pool at
the time, this means that if you want to change anything you can just remove
the pool arg.

Lets go to volumes and images. Contrary to how it's name imgUUID does not
represent and image. It's actually a tag given to part of a chain. This is
commonly used to differentiate between parts of the chain responsible for VM
images and templates. Due to bad code a lot of the possible combinations are
not supported but that is the intention.
imgUUID being a tag means that it serves 3 purposes depending on the verb that
uses it.
1) In some verbs it used as a useless sanity check to make sure the volume is
tagged with this sdUUID.
   This I imagine was done because someone didn't fully comprehend how and why
you do sanity checks.
   This means that in some verbs you can just remove it (if you are actually
changing anything)
2) In some verbs it's meant to distinct the volume from it's original chain
(creating a template). At that point it's actually now being invented by the
caller.
3) Operations that act on the whole chain, if volUUID is there is for the same
useless sanity check and can be removed.

What you need to get out of this is that most of the time you can use less IDs
just by removing useless imgUUID or volUUID args.
Further more, you need to understand that they are not hierarchical. imgUUID is
a "tag" on the volume. similar to "user" for a file.

As for domain IDs, because the caller can choose to reuse imgUUIDs and volUUIDs
on different domains and some flows actually depend on that.
To make things simpler some verbs should be split up so how you specify that
target volID doesn't affect the actual command.

This means that copyImage() and createTemplate() should be split to:
copyImage(dstDomain, srcDomain, imgUUID)
createTemplate(dstDomain, dstImgUUID, srcDomain, srcImgUUID)

That being said, I'm personally still against an indeterminate storage API
because of engine adoption problems.
But if you want to "fix" the current interface. Packing up the IDs to a single
ID wouldn't work and is logically wrong.
What you need to do is remove redundant arguments and split up verbs that do
more then one thing.