On 12/05/2012 04:42 PM, Adam Litke wrote:
I wanted to know what do you think about it and if you have better
>solution to avoid initiate so many threads? And if splitting vdsm is
>a good idea here?
>In first look, my opinion is that it can help and would be nice to
>have vmStatisticService that runs and writes to separate log the vms
>status.
Vdsm recently started requiring the MOM package.  MOM also performs some host
and guest statistics collection as part of the policy framework.  I think it
would be a really good idea to consolidate all stats collection into MOM.  Then,
all stats become usable within the policy and by vdsm for its own internal
purposes.  Today, MOM has one stats collection thread per VM and one thread for
the host stats.  It has an API for gathering the most recently collected stats
which vdsm can use.

isn't this what collectd (and its libvirt plugin) or pcp are already doing?