On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:21:39PM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 10:16 PM, Adam Litke wrote:

> >>I think we should have a single stats collection service and clients for it.
> >>I think mom and vdsm should get their stats from that service,
> >>rather than have either beholden to any new stats something needs to
> >>collect.
> >
> >How would this work for collecting guest statistics?  Would we require
> >collectd
> >to be installed in all guests running under oVirt?
> >

> my understanding is collectd is installed on the host, and uses
> collects libvirt plugin to collect guests statistics?

Yes, but some statistics can only be collected by making a call to the oVirt
guest agent (eg. guest memory statistics).  The logical next step would be to
write a collectd plugin for ovirt-guest-agent, but vdsm owns the connections to
the guest agents and probably does not want to multiplex those connections for
many reasons (security being the main one).