On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 03:53:46PM -0500, Saggi Mizrahi wrote:
> > I'm not sure what's the purpose of having different versions of the
> > client/server on the same machine. The software repository is one and
> > it should provide both (as they're built from the same source).
> > This is the standard way of delivering client/server applications in
> > all the distributions. We can change that but we must have a good
> > reason.
> There isn't really a reason. But, as I said, you don't want them to
> depend on each other or have the schema in it's own rpm.
> This means that you have to distribute them separately.
>
> I also want to allow to update the client on a host without updating
> the server. This is because you may want to have a script that works
> across the cluster but not update all the hosts.
>
> Now, even though you will use only old methods, the schema itself
> might become unparsable by old implementations.

This should never happen.  Right now each "symbol" in the schema is represented
by a single OrderedDict and the parsing code just loads the schema file into the
a list of these dicts.  Once loaded, the vdsmapi module categorizes symbols
according to the top-level keys.  Unrecognized symbol types are simply skipped.