I'm not that familiarized with the code myself and can't tell you without
looking into it and debugging it.
What I would do is - for any command I'd like the internal flow of - start at
the top (All vds commands are listed when you type vdsClient, without the need
to actually run something).
You can then search the specific command you're interested in in the code, and
see the flow there.
You can obviously run a specific command if you have the correct setup and
follow through with the vdsm.log to see the exact flow. You can, of course, add
your own debug messages to make things clearer for you, as the vdsm log is
logged to very frequently.