Interesting Theory.
IIRC in the past the balloon device was auto created by libvirt, and
at some point vdsm started removing it. So if the migration is from
an old version where the device is created to a new one which supports
a balloon created by the engine, it may be missing some parameters.
So indeed we need to understand more about the source vdsm and how
its VMs were created.