On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 08:38:42AM -0400, Yaniv Bronheim wrote:
> Hey,
>
> If I understand it correctly start_needed_srv and load-needed-modules
> is needed only by RedHat family dists, so you can keep it in vdsmd
> start function.  All the others (systemd, upstat and openrc) have
> dependencies mechanism that we can use (as *.service Requires field)

I would not pile start_needed_srv and load-needed-modules together.
Declaring the needed modules in a /etc/modprobe.d/vdsm.conf file may not
be enough, since we would like vdsm and its networking functionality to
be functional before the host is rebooting. We may consider moving
load-needed-modules to ovirt-host-deploy, though.

> Supervdsm service implementation almost complete, and hopefully will merged
> soon. It doesn't need to bother us, as it just requires another dependency
> between it and vdsmd as you mentioned..
>
> If we've already started to work on the splitting part, we can call
> the scripts we need by vdsm-tool right now. later we can translate the
> code to python .  I think it might be better and more seemlier to what
> we expect it to be when we'll finish.

> Each service control will use the needed vdsm-tool command to
> initialize vdsm deamon, instead of running all the scripts

I too have a concern about http://gerrit.ovirt.org/14826/ 's current
approach, of splitting functionality into before_vdsm_start hooks. The
concern is about the semantics of the hooks system: it is ment to be for
optional additions to the vdsm, and here it is being used for
crucially-required bits of vdsmd startup.

Another concern is that I do not trust bash. The patch improves things
by avoiding the unmaintainably-long script that we have. Still, I would
prefer to move the code to vdsm-tool and to Python. I do wonder if this
is a case of "best" blocking "better"...

I wonder if we can solicit more opinions about this.