On 08/16/2013 10:54 AM, Vinzenz Feenstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have had some verbal discussion about the restore state files and we
> came to the conclusion that it might be a good idea, if we could have
> the configuration we're saving pickled in the restore files within the
> Domain XML itself.
>
> The point is, that we're currently having kind of a potential problem
> (can be found in vm.py all over the place in comments) that the recover
> file and the actual configuration of the VM in the Domain XML might differ.
>
> The idea is that we could utilize the metatag introduced in before
> libvirt 0.10 to store our current configuration embedded in the
> DomainXML in libvirt.
> When we're recovering we can get the configuration from there.
> Additionally we would be able to update the domain xml and the current
> configuration at the same time and we'd have a more consistent state.
>
> This is just an idea and I am curious what you guys are thinking about it.
>
> Let me know, thanks

Why do we need to duplicate the entire configuration within the
DomainXML? Are we not able to rely on the domainXML to rebuild our on
internal VM objects during a recovery?

If it is a case of not being able to store custom data within the
domainXML then we could use the metatag idea above to store this data
without the need to duplicate the rest.

Thanks,

Lee
--

Lee Yarwood
Senior Software Maintenance Engineer

Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

GPG fingerprint : A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76