From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 11/1/2005 10:29 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Ultrasound for difficult PIV placement

We are in the process (4 months) in collecting data on this.
Unfortunately it does not cover all the PIV placed with ultrasound.
Even with pretty talented staff, Lynn and others are absolutely right.
Initial analysis of this data shows that many PIVs placed with ultrasound
do not last 72 hours.  Biggest complication - infiltration.
If we are dealing with vesicants this can be disastrous.  Everybody needs
to remember that CT Contrast is a vesicant.  Now with the extrasavation up
high in the arm or at the antecub and deep - a lot worse trouble.

Timothy Royer, BSN, CRNI