Sorry people i had a session open when was doing final testing which was hidden behind other windows.

Correction to below is you may get an error when trying to ssh -L 13722:localhost:13722 etc when sshing to the backup server itself. I seemed to get some 'channel 3: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed' error.

It does work when sshing to another machine and using the redirect as below as i mentioned in the email. This works and has saved me a lot of grief.

ssh -L 13722:<ip of backup server>:13722 -L 13724:<ip of backup server>:13724 -C <ip of machine you can ssh to and has access to backup server without the port restrictions from your admin laptop or wherever>

Thanks

Dave Markham wrote:

Not sure if this is useful to anyone but i got this working today so am excited and thought someone may benefit.

I admin things remotely and need to admin various netbackup installations. I have ssh access through to the backup servers but very rarely am allowed the Java gui ports open so i can use the client software installed on my laptop.

What i have been trying to do is to redirect this all through ssh to i can point my gui to localhost and it forward requests through to the remote java gui on the backup server and all come up with much faster speed.

If you normally run an Xclient and ssh -X -C [EMAIL PROTECTED] and run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA & then this will be for you as that method is beyond slow in my experience.

Ok, all i have had to do is this from my laptop.

ssh -L 13722:localhost:13722 -L 13724:localhost:13724 <ip of backup server>

Then create a hosts entry on my laptop for 127.0.0.1 <name of backup server>

Then in the gui i just say server is <name of backup server> ( which is really localhost ) and it forwards things through and works.

You could also tunnel to a machine which doesnt have any restrictions between that and the backup server if you cant get to the backup server directly.

Hope this helps people admin better :)