From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeff Lightner
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 1:10 PM
To: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows backup failing to Unix Server - Succeeds to Windows server

An odd one here.   Our Windows Admin has attempted to setup a Windows machine to be backed up by our Unix Master.   When he does he gets a Status 59 which means the server isnt recognized by the client.   When he uses his Windows Master to do this it goes just fine.

Per the troubleshooting we turned on logging on the client.  In the bprd log we see lines like:

bpcd valid_server: comparing cthroat.water.com and atubks01.dsw.net.

atubks01.dsw.net is the name of the Unix server.   cthroat.water.com was our old server and that address has been aliased to point to the new server.

After the initial statements we see bcd valid_server hostname comparison succeeded so that seems good.

Later in the log though I see it comparing the Windows Master to my main Production DB server which is confusing because:

1)      Weve told it to use the Unix Master which doesnt know about the Windows Master.
2)      It says the Production DB server is not a server (presumably meaning master) which is true but also says not a media server which is NOT true.

If this were Unix Id think he had odd entries in bp.conf that needed to be changed.  However I dont know Windows and didnt see anything called bp.conf when doing an explore of the Netbackup directory there.

Any ideas on what I could check?  The troubleshooting guide makes it clear this is an issue with the client recognizing the server not vice-versa so I need some idea what to check on the Windows side.

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Unix Systems Administrator

DS Waters of North America

678-486-3516