Justin,

            Maybe it’s too simple for your needs but what I do here is to “overload” the Description field that is stored with each media entry.  I.e. the scripts that say when to unload certain tapes also update this field so that you can see “at a glance”, where a given tape is. The notation I use is “PLACE/BOXNUMBER”.

Good Luck

Richard.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Justin Durrant
Sent: 13 March 2006 12:52
To: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Barcode Scanning

Hi Everyone

I've been tasked with trying to find a solution to our tape mountain here.

Our tapes are in one of four places and all have unique bar codes.

Ideally, we want to have a handheld barcode scanner that can record when our tapes go off site and come back from the off-site datasafe. We also want to be able to record when the tapes are in the library etc.

I know that our NetBackup solution can read the tapes but wondered if anyone has done something like this before and could recommend any products.

The best product will feature a database which we could tailor to indicate which tapes are where.

Thanks

Justin

--

To report this message as spam, click here
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by DFK Systems Limited, and is believed to be clean.