In practical testing I've noticed negligible backup time and KB differences between checking and unchecking this option on 6 of our Exchange Information Stores.  In theory it only grabs one copy of a document that was mailed out to multiple people, and so you should backup much less data at the expense of more processing time.  Perhaps there is more configuration to be done on my part and I'm not setup properly?  Since running a few test backups I haven't looked into it any farther.

-Jonathan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kilpatrick, Mark
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:20 AM
To: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] single instance backup for message attachments

What happens if I enable the option of “single instance backup for message attachments” under exchange field of client properties. I am currently using mailbox backups but they take a long time. What will be different in a mailbox backup if I enable this option? How will backup time and restore time of mailboxes be effected.

Single Instance Storage is used by our exchange server.

Thanks

Sabeo Technologies.