Yeah i had come to that conclusion myself.

The only worrying thing was i didn't want to leave it to chance that the
raw partitions wouldn't appear on the client which didn't normally have
them. Its all san storage connected see and if someone adds a new volume
to the client with the same device path ( i know doubtful ) it may be
being backed up when i dont need it to be on that client.

Think ill leave the exclude list in place and put a known good small
file in the stream which contains the raw stuff.
Thanks for this.

Dave