        -----Original Message-----
        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Wilts
        Sent: March 12, 2008 12:56 PM
        To: WEAVER, Simon (external)
        Cc: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu; Jeff Lightner
        Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade
experience! 5.x - 6.5

        On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:33 AM, WEAVER, Simon (external)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        >  it seems that going from 5.1 to 6.5 or even 6.5.1 should be
the easier upgrade path.

        What are you basing this on?  The 6.0 to 6.5 upgrade has been
relatively painless for everybody.  It's always been the 5.x to 6.0
upgrade that has been the issue and the steps to do that are in the 5.1
to 6.5 path - you can't avoid the migration by skipping 6.0.

        In general, the uglier the source environment in 5.1, the uglier
the migration, and it hasn't always been the admin's fault (although
sometimes it has been).  Some things worked in earlier releases but were
never really documented or supported and NetBackup is not unique in
this.  The more complex the product is, the uglier upgrades are going to
be since there are too many input permutations to even consider testing.
There are lots of environments out there where Symantec just says "we
didn't know anybody was even doing *that*" or "we didn't even know you
*could* do that".

        If the source environment would have been bugfree since it was
installed, it would be easier, but it wasn't - all releases that I've
worked on, going back to 3.4 had some set of bugs that would leave the
system in weird and wonderful states.  That makes the upgrade even
harder since they can't just trust that the source system was pristine.
It also doesn't help that sometimes the upgrade processes themselves
have bugs.

        > maybe careful planning is the key?

        Careful planning is always key but this alone doesn't guarantee
a successful outcome.  Part of the planning, however, should include a
fall back plan...

           .../Ed
        --
        Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans
délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.