On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:34 AM, WEAVER, Simon (external) <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  1) VCB Backups (consolidated) - how is it Licensed from a NetBackup
> perspective? Is it based on 1 host with multiple VM machines, per processor
> or the number of VM machines on a host?
>
> 2) Flash Backups - Again, licensing, is it per client, or per processor?
>
> Cannot find anything definitive about this, and being asked these questions
> by my supplier.

You need to change suppliers.  These are basic questions that any supplier
should be able to answer.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but the VMware
licensing information was posted to Symantec's web site a year or longer
ago.

1.  You need 1 license per OS type on the host.  So, if you have 20 Windows
guests plus 2 Linux guests, you need to purchase 1 Windows client license
and 1 Linux client license.  Add a Snapshot/Advanced license if you want to
use Snapshots (which includes VCB).

2.  It's per client and there are multiple tiers in the client types.  You
need to know what tier your client is in and then purchase 1 client for that
server.  The license is actually installed on the master server.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE

If I've helped you, please make a donation to my favorite charity at
http://firstgiving.com/edwilts