I'm not a VMware guy but I believe that vStorage is part of VMware.  It's up
to NetBackup to use those APIs to do the backups.  That's all part of
NetBackup 7 which has gone FA and is due to go GA in another week or so.  It
looks really, really good and once we get NBU 7 installed (probably March or
April for us), then I'll have a serious look at the new backup interfaces to
VMware.

   .../Ed