Hey guys

I was reading the VSP overview for Netbackup 6.5 and was a little confused on
the virtual drive creation and the VSP cache file creation. Where is the
virtual drive created? And what exactly is inside the VSP cache file. I read
through the documentation but still unclear on these things so anyone that can
put this piece of the documentation into layman's terms I would appreciate it,
thanks.

VSP overview

NetBackup uses VSP to back up open and active files on Windows 2000, Windows
XP, and Windows Server 2003 (32- and 64-bit) clients. For VSP to back up open
and active files, VSP first captures a snapshot of each volume to be backed up.

A virtual drive is created that represents a static copy of the volume at a
point-in-time. A corresponding VSP cache file is also created. NetBackup backs
up files using the virtual drive instead of the actual drive. For each volume
snapshot, a VSP cache file is created to maintain the integrity of the
snapshot. The cache file stores the original data that reflects the changes
that occurred during the backup. The cache file is created along with the
volume snapshot.

Daniel Jimenez
Data Protection