You can also use bpimagelist to show you the oldest active backup in the
catalogue.  Although it doesn't give you the date for when the policy was first
created, it will tell you how far back you can possibly go with that policy.

bpimagelist -d 01/01/1970 -policy <policy_name> -U

Brian J. Greenberg
General System Dynamics LLC
br...@gsysd.com
http://gsysd.com