Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] VSP making server hung.
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:27:32 -0400
From: jmart...@intersil.com
To: pranav_vent...@hotmail.com; veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu

The Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is a Microsoft product that
is built into Windows (2003+). It functions similarly to the Veritas Snapshot
Provider (VSP) in that it allows you to backup open files on a volume.  VSS
is recommended for 2003, but both should function.  I would try the
following.

1 – run chkdsk /f on the drive with the issue, disk
corruption can kill a shadow copy

2 – reinstall the NetBackup client and Maintenance Pack
(reboot if requested)

3 – Make sure there is enough free space on the drive you
are writing the vsp cache too (configured on master server)

VSP has known issues in older versions of NetBackup. That
vsp_cache file is a known issue if a backup fails unexpectedly.  You can
use process explorer to release the handle and delete it manually, or manually
delete it after rebooting.

-Jonathan