From: Ed Wilts [mailto:ewi...@ewilts.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:43 AM
To: Len Boyle
Cc: VERITAS-BU@MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups from Netapp using Netbackup

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Len Boyle
<len.bo...@sas.com<mailto:len.bo...@sas.com>> wrote:
Good Morning,

My understanding is that the netapp on  disk is keeping track of changed
blocks, but that backup software that is written the backup to tape understands
files.  So the backup software is reading  the whole file including both the
unchanged blocks and the changed blocks and writing them to tape.

The netapp is using the old unix dump command  to read the files and write them
to tape. Netbackup adds its header files to the backup stream. Other then
software such as snap mirror or snap vault I do not believe that the netapp
have an api for only passing the changed blocks to the backup software.
One could wonder if this will change with the new world of dedupe.

Just imagine how ugly your restores could get if you only backed up the changed
blocks.  If you update block 1 on day 1, block 2 on day 2, block 3 on day 3 and
then restore, you'd need all 3 incrementals.  With file-based incrementals, you
only need the last one.  If you're backing up to disk,  the first option isn't
so bad.  With backups to tape, this would be horrible.

   .../Ed
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewi...@ewilts.org<mailto:ewi...@ewilts.org>
[http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png]Linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/in/ewilts>