Unfortunately I don't have much experience with buffer settings on
Windows, but I have heard that Windows drivers limits the size of the
buffer. I also heard that had been resolved/increased but I can't say for
sure. I'm really surprised you can't get above the default (which I think
is 64k?), though, that's just ridiculous.

If you try the Flashbackup and it doesn't work for you, try breaking up
the normal backups into several policies/streams that will run at a time
versus one long running backup.

BTW, if you ever have to restore that system (God forbid), you are going
to take a hit when you go to de-mpx all that data and that will affect
your SLA. Food for thought.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard
Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪
281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪
http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,

"WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.wea...@astrium.eads.net>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
09/15/2010 02:39 PM

"Martin, Jonathan" <jmart...@intersil.com>, "Spearman, David"
<sp...@co.henrico.va.us>, <veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Real World NBU Buffer settings Win2k3

Jonathan
My comments about Flashbackups came from symantec rep, who felt it would
not be ideal.

The volumes are "windows" compressed, and hold over 1.7TB's compressed
data. Uncompressed and it could be around 3TB+
Maybe I could look into this more. But I did want to find out if anyone
had buffer settings recommended for large file system backups.
Si