From: rusty.ma...@sungard.com [mailto:rusty.ma...@sungard.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:17 PM
To: WEAVER, Simon (external)
Cc: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu; veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] D2D or Tape Libraries

We have several D2D2T system currently, running Advanced Disk and SLPs. I would
never go back if I had the choice. There's nothing wrong with disk, in fact it
cures many of the ills of a tape system, like slow backups which kill tape
drives, speed to restore, etc. Even with dedupe, tape is still cheaper (I don't
have numbers to prove this, but disk isn't cheap and neither is a dedupe system
or the power to run it). If you design it right, it should work well. I would
recommend making a second copy on tape because it's cheap and your a$$ will be
saved when/if there's a problem with the disk array. To save some money, you
could design it so that all of your images are on disk for the first week as
this is when most restores occur. Keeping ALL imags on disk and not tape, and
not deduping, is going to be expensive.

Remember, the more times you handle a tape and take it out of the climate
controlled space of the data center, your probability for issues rises. There
was someone who made a presentation at the NBU customer forum who went to a
mostly disk solution, but still had tape though tapes never left the library.
They had one media error in a year. Now THAT would be nice to have in any
environment!

As many people have been saying for years, tape is not dead - it still has it's
place.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability
Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
<http://availability.sungard.com/>
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.wea...@astrium.eads.net>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>

10/07/2010 05:45 AM

<veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] D2D or Tape Libraries

All
Just wanted some views on this....

Been using Tape backups + Robots for years, and only lately things have been
going wrong!
Decisions seem to be made about removing tape backups (maybe using them for
monthly) and going to D2D solutions only.

Anyone got views on this? Pros or cons?

I do not mind D2D but I also like the "feel" of Tapes and storing them outside
a site in a secure safe! Cannot do that with a EVA System !

Note: D2D is not to go to tape, remains on disk until it expires.

Regards

Simon

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any
attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its
content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this
email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
-o-
Registered Office: