It may be that you are dup'ing so many jobs at once (high number of write
drives) that vault grabs fresh tapes and isn't filling them up. It may
take you longer to fill them up because the tapes are in use elsewhere and
it would have to wait.

How much data are you actually duplicating and on what type of tape? How
many tapes have a significant amount of free space? Are you not getting
good compression (databases, etc.)?

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard
Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪
281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪
http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,

Nate Sanders <sande...@dmotorworks.com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
10/22/2010 03:03 PM

"VERITAS-BU@MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU" <VERITAS-BU@MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU>
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Getting a handle on vault eject info

 Usually our vaults just work. We duplicate on Tuesday, that finished by
Thursday. Friday morning we eject, Friday afternoon we inject. NOC Staff
handles tape rotation/Iron Mountain returns.

A year ago we averaged 8-12 tapes. 3 months ago we were doing 13-18
tapes. Since upgrading to NBU 6.5.6 a month or so ago and fixing a
couple broken jobs, we're averaging 18-23. Today, we just vaulted 40
tapes. Never have I seen so many in a single vault.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to use all the emails I've saved
(for the last 3 years) to try and compare/contrast to actually
understand what happened that caused this. There's no way it's data
growth, that's simply too large of an increase.

Any pointers on which emails or what data sets specifically to cross
reference?

--
Nate Sanders            Digital Motorworks
System Administrator      (512) 692 - 1038

addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an
authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly
notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the message and any attachments
from your system.