From: br...@gsysd.com
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:30:59 -0600
To: james.f.mcdonald...@saic.com
CC: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Data Removal

James -
Why would you want to remove all the data from your tapes?  Are you migrating
to a new media format?  If you’re just wanting to know what tapes to send off
site, simply use Vault.  Vault handles the identification and ejection of all
tapes that need to be sent off site as well as providing you with the reports
for off-siting your media.

                    Brian J. Greenberg

                    General System Dynamics LLC

                    br...@gsysd.com

                    http://gsysd.com

                    312.242.1840

                    Follow me on Twitter

                    Follow GSD on Twitter

On Dec 15, 2010, at 8:59 AM, McDonald, James F. II wrote:Is there a process to
remove all data from the tapes in the tape drive?  I need institute an off-site
storage process and I have no idea which tapes have a complete backup image on
them, so I would like to remove all the data and start writing “fresh” tapes.
We have a disk-to-tape setup, so all the images are primarily stored on the
server and then are supposed to be written to tape for off-site storage. I
guess another option would be to view the images that have been written to each
tape.  Is there a way to do that? Thanks,James McDonaldSystem AdministratorSAIC
- iisbu410-312-2232mcdonal...@saic.com