If you get low on space, EMM will shut down to save the database from
corruption. I believe the default is 1% free, but can't remember. There
will be a log entry in the emm log stating this was the case. This sounds
like what could have been happening here because you could access at least
the UI, but nothing else was working. I found a technote that explains it:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47326
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48007

NBU will put the logs in the same filesystem where you installed NBU, and
are a combination of <installpath>\veritas\netbackup\logs and
<installpath>\veritas\logs. I always put these two directories in a
separate filesystem, but this is made easier since we run on Solaris and
can use symbolic links.

Once you get past your problem and things are working again, you need to
make sure that your vxlogs (also called Unified Logs and these are the
logs in  <installpath>\veritas\logs) are not running at highest verbosity.
This command will change all the vxlogs to the default level.

 <installpath>\veritas\netbackup\bin\vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o Default -s
DebugLevel=1 -s DiagnosticLevel=1

You can substitute 0's in there to turn logging off.

Also set the troubleshooting tab (or the registry) to 0 for the legacy
logs (logs located in <installpath>\veritas\netbackup\logs). Note, after
making either of these changes only some logs will be returned to this
lower log setting a restart will be necessary to get all of them back to
the new value.

This technote gives more detail on the logs. Also look in the
troubleshooting guide for even more detail about these logs.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43251

If you want to move your vxlogs (unified logs) follow this technote:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH45907
Since you are on Windows, I dont' think you can relocate the legacy logs
(<installpath>\veritas\netbackup\logs) natively. You could install cygwin
and utilize that to create a symlink. Maybe someone else has another
suggestion on this as well.

Other ways to save space would be to limit the number of days you are
keeping logs and enable compression of the catalog.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard
Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪
281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪
http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,

Justin Piszcz <jpis...@lucidpixels.com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
02/24/2011 08:42 AM

"McDonald, James F. II" <james.f.mcdonald...@saic.com>
cc
Saran Brar <saranb...@live.com>, <veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5 acting buggy

Hi,

If you ran out of space it could of screwed up the EMM DB.
Check the logs for the EMM DB.

Justin.