I was just reading through the NetBackup for VMware 7.1 Administrator's
Guide and it looks to me like there are no options to implement this
policy type other than at locations that have shared VM storage (by
presenting the luns to the master.) This seems very strange to me, given
that tons of other solutions allow the backup of .vmdk files across the
network without shared storage. Does anyone know if Symantec plans to
change this in the future? We are actively deploying ESX to the field in
small / non-clustered configurations (without shared storage) and I'm
being pressed on why we can't backup the .VMDKs directly.

-Jonathan