From: veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Hickey
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:48 AM
To: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question about SUSPEND behavior

Hi folks,
  My customer has implemented an offsite strategy that calls for tapes from the
previous night's backups to be suspended after the backup cycle so that they
can be completely replicated offsite from the production VTL.  A job is run
every day at 14:30 pm that suspends the tapes written in the past 24 hours, and
a report is published every day at 17:30  pm that lists the tapes that from the
backup cycle and whether they are synch-ed to the DR location or not.

Yesterday we noticed that a tape that was listed as synched on the report from
10/03/2011 was not synched on 10/04.  When we checked the logs we found the
following:

1.       tape was used for backup during the 09/30 -  10/01 backup cycle, with
the job ending sometime around 23:00 on 10/01.

2.       tape was picked up by the suspend job on 10/01 because it was written
in the past 24 hours

3.       tape was reported as fully synched to the DR VTL on 10/02 and on 10/03

4.       tape was selected for a backup late on 10/03, and was finally given a
tape drive early on 10/04 and started writing (this is, one would assume, why
it was no longer synched)

So it appears that the tape was still writing when the suspend script ran.  I
guess we expected that the tape would go to SUSPEND mode when the write
finished, but 4. above seems to belie that expectation.

Can anyone comment on the expected behavior if an attempt is made to suspend a
tape when it is writing?

Thanks,
  Mark

Mark Hickey
Principal Technical Consultant - Business Continuity
Hitachi Data Systems
North Weymouth, MA

All phones: 781-817-3055

AthenaR, Created for the CauseT
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the
sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.