I know I'm replying to my own email, but I found this whitepaper

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_netbackup_for_ms_exchange_server_02-2009_20016957.en-us.pdf

the link for which I thought might be helpful to someone else searching for
similar info.

From: veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Lynne Seamans
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 12:49 PM
To: 'veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu'
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 and Exchange 2007 integration

Hi to all.

   We're a brand new NetBackup site.. converting from another backup solution
entirely.

    Basic stuff going well, got windows, solaris, HP-UX, linux clients all
happily backing up.

   Now on to the "harder" stuff!  We are currently running Exchange 2007, so I
started reading the "NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's
Guide" and my eyes kind of glazed over.

  It seems to me there are like 4 different kinds of backups for Exchange..
that GRT (Granular Recovery) that seems to need NFS for windows (UGH), snapshot
backups, Instant Recovery backups, and MAPI backups.   Is there a document that
succinctly explains these and the differences?  What method of backup for
Exchange do most NetBackup installations employ?

Lynne
Lynne Seamans
Systems Support Manager
Millersville University