From: veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Infantino, Joe
(Contractor)
Sent: 15 March 2012 20:39
To: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] cold catalog recovery

We are trying to upgrade our NBU hardware and OS and are running into some
issues that seem related to doing a cold catalog recovery and name resolution.

Current setup:

Windows 2003 x86 SP2

NBU 6.5.6

New setup:

Windows 2008 x64 SP2

NBU 6.5.6

Current server and new server are configured with the same name and ip address.

ISSUE:

We can do a cold catalog backup and restore just fine but have a serious issue
in the end.  After both successes if we open the Activity Monitor we get an
error - "Not connected, check if services are up."

All service are up.

bpjobsd log shows

<2> job_connect: Can't connect automatically to client pbcobk01 status = 25 err
= 10061

<2> job_connect: Can't connect to client pbcobk01

<16> main: Can't connect to pbcobk01 (46)

We did a complete system rebuild, installed NBU 6.5.6, and configured to write
to disk.  Test backup ran and Activity Monitor worked fine.  Did the catalog
recovery and the issue came back.

I did some bpclntcmd tests and they all come back with the correct name but the
IP shows as 127.0.0.1.  I added the hostname and real IP to the hosts file with
no luck.

I tried the following tests:

bpclntcmd -pn = correct short name with 127.0.0.1

bpclntcmd -self = correct short name with 127.0.0.1

bpclntcmd -hn pbcobk01 = correct short name with 127.0.0.1

bpclntcmd -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = correct host and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for ip address

If I do these test on the current server they come back with the actual IP of
the system.

TIA

Joe Infantino

MCP, MCSA, Security+, ITILv3

Senior Systems Analyst

Security and Server Operations

Intersil Corporation

email: jinfant...@intersil.com<mailto:jinfant...@intersil.com>

www.intersil.com<file:///\\www.intersil.com>

Unless otherwise stated, this email has been sent from Fujitsu Services
Limited, from Fujitsu (FTS) Limited, or from Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe
Limited, together "Fujitsu".

This email is only for the use of its intended recipient.  Its contents are
subject to a duty of confidence and may be privileged.  Fujitsu does not
guarantee that this email has not been intercepted and amended or that it is
virus-free.

Fujitsu Services Limited, registered in England No 96056, registered office 22
Baker Street, London W1U 3BW.

Fujitsu (FTS) Limited, registered in England No 03808613, registered office 22
Baker Street, London W1U 3BW.

Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited, registered in England No 2548187,
registered office Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, Birmingham, B37
7YU.