Justin,

Wish I knew about this years ago, it fixed an issue you've similarly described
that we've had with legacy W2K systems.

We created a VM with the settings below, copied the data over - yes it took
time, but once finished; in one case keep the VM and in another case copied
another servers data set back to Bare Metal.

It worked. Backups are much better, but more importantly - the restores!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007

Scott Jacobson

>>> "Justin Piszcz" <jpis...@lucidpixels.com> 11/28/2012 4:34 AM >>>

Hello,

Using 7.5.0.3, restoring 1m+ files in a single directory, obviously this would
take hours/days (bpdbm just runs forever) to start so what I am doing is
splitting it into chunks and that is helping (it works) but was wondering if
anyone on this list knows of any special:

DIRECTIVES for bpdbm in the bp.conf to optimize/help speed it up for restores?

It seems there are some interesting ones:

IS_ASCII_CATALOG_FILE_FORMAT
SKIP_NOTIFICATION_FOR_UNIT_TEST
INSIDE_CATALOG_CLEANUP
CLEANUP_KILLED_BY_SIGNAL
CATALOG_BACKUP_PARENT_JOBID
INSIDE_ASA_BACKUP
NB_BPDBM_TEST_DELAY_SOCKET_CLOSE
KEEP_EXISTING_DOTF_DURING_IMPORT
NB_BPDBM_ALIVE_LOCAL_TIMEOUT

There are more as well, does anyone have any tips to improve restore
performance of lots of files?

Justin.