I don't know SAP, so I apologize for answering w/o direct knowledge.
However, in my experience with Oracle databases, I find that backup jobs
can have an extreme impact on the other work of a database ... as in 10-100
times slowdown of other work in some of the databases I work with.  On the
other hand, some databases hardly notice.

While my databases have a separate I/O path to their disk storage, the
backups go over the public network (whether public or private, that is on
its "other" network).

While users directly connecting see a slowdown, that's no longer a common
model ... there is middleware for most of our applications and the
middleware sometimes tends to be chatty ... wanting very good response to
many small requests.  It's like having a conversion with a person that
never stops talking ... there's rarely time for you to say what you want to
inject into the conversation!

So if your backup traffic isn't over an independent path to independent
storage, it's going to have impact on customer response time.  There are
other impacts, but this one is pretty much database independent.

Cheers, Wayne