I've seen this (not necessarily with catalog backups) before and Tech Support
recommended to create (not copy) to a new policy.
Each time I've needed to do this it has worked.

>>> e070924 <nbu-fo...@backupcentral.com> 11/12/2014 10:22 AM >>>
We've been all through the settings of the Catalog job, and compared it to the
7.1 server which is doing fine.  No differences.  that's the first thing we
checked.  No where does it say that it's going to run a Sybase job, and there
are no settings for tape-reuse, and the settings for streams is greyed out.
We're getting ready to reboot the server, since there's nothing else to try,
but in the IT world, that's the last-ditch copout & we haven't found the cause,
or fixed anything.

NEW INFO:  My 7.1 server which I proclaim is working fine, ONCE last week did
the same thing.  The catalog took two tapes, then subsequent days, it was OK.
This happened with no change in config.  This leads me to believe that the
issue is not config-related, but related to some sort of problem that we've not
yet uncovered.