100% agree with this recommendation.
There are some corner cases where this may not be possible, such as while rolling OS upgrades, or in cases of one app depending on another, and each app running a different OS version.
In general, keep all identical if possible, and always be aware of added complexity and risk when you do not

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul G Flood
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 11:26 AM
To: Shaffer, Kurt
Cc: veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Evsyukov,Sergey
Subject: Re: [Veritas-ha] HA nodes Patch levels

It's better to keep it simple by having the same patch level otherwise (God forbid) if you have an outage in your production environment that's difficult to diagnose then the first thing that other vendors supporting storage etc will point to is your inconsistent patch levels even though they may have nothing to do with the problem.  But that vendors for you!

Regards,

Paul
Paul Flood

GIS Solution Architect

Global Infrastructure Services

CSC
Computer Sciences Corporation
Mobile/Cell: 07900057339

International: +44 (0)7900057339

Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.

"Shaffer, Kurt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

13/11/2006 16:04

"Evsyukov, Sergey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-ha] HA nodes Patch levels

We follow Jim’s suggestion and keep our kernel patch level the same in our clusters.  The only time they are different is in between the secondary node being patched and the primary being patched, usually 2-3 weeks.  However, we do have a sandbox setup which runs one node running Solaris 10 and the other node running Solaris 8, no issues with that setup, works fine but we wouldn’t do that in a production environment due to best practices.