Doron Veeder wrote:

> Hi
>
> My issue is as followed
>
> I need to extract the VCS version installed on the Unix machine.
>
> I do not run as root on that machine – hence I cannot use the “had
> –version” command
>
> So far I used the following script:
>
> halog –info --- to extract where the log of the VCS resides
>
> grep “VCS engine version” $logfile --- to get the version
>
> I’m trying not to count on the default installation location
> (/opt/VRTSvcs) nor the default location of the log file
> (/var/VRTSvcs/log/engine_A.log)
>
> It worked fine with VCS 3.5
>
> In VCS 5.0 (and I believe from 4.1) – there is a new halogin command.
>
> How do I check in a script if I need to run the halogin command?
>
> Any haxxx command requires username/password and if the command hangs
> if they are not provided.
>
> Especially the password which cannot be transferred to the CLI.
>
> Any suggestion will be gladly accepted.
>
> Best is to find another method to extract the VCS version with these
> limits:
>
> · non-root user
>
> · non-default installation location
>
> · multi-platform support (HP-UX, AIX, SunOS)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doron

Hi Doron,

Any reason why you can't do a case statement to work out the platform
and then parse the output of pkginfo/swlist/installp/rpm?

I think that pkginfo, rpm and installp are OK as a non root user - you
might need to add an SD-UX ACL for swlist though - not sure - been a
while since I did HP-UX in anger ;-)

HTH,

Sean