To mirror volumes you must be dealing with a relatively small distance,
such as less than 80K. For these distances, why not use a single cluster
called a "stretch" or "campus" cluster? In SF 5.0 there is the concept
of "site awareness" so that VM is aware of the two sites and if a volume
at the remote site becomes detached, then all volumes at the remote site
are detached thereby maintaining consistency of the site.

I have not heard of the limitation you mention, I do know that in a
Replicated Data Cluster (VVR within a cluster), synchronous replication
is required because unlike GCO there is nothing to prevent failover and
we don't want the cluster to experience failovers and take over with old
data automatically.

With mirroring, it certainly would be possible. As in the case of
replicating data we do not recommend automatic failover. Automatic
failover could result in split brain destroying the data if the link
between the two clusters were interrupted making it appear the primary
cluster was down.

A lot of configurations are possible, a lot will work, but they may not
be supported. I am not sure who told you this, but I would ask for an
explanation. One possible problem could be the loss of SAN between sites
for hours followed by a failover to the remote site with old data with
the VCS admin being unaware of the storage problem.

I think the primary concern is split brain. With replication, you are
working with two distinct data sets. If both sides become active due to
a loss of connectivity, the data is not being corrupted, the two sites
are just growing further apart.