From: John Cronin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:45 AM
To: i man
Cc: Jim Senicka; Gene Henriksen; veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-ha] .stale file

It would be no problem to create a Notifier resource in any arbitrary
service group with the CLI.  If I understand this correctly, what you
are doing is shutting down VCS, and then editing main.cf to change the
config?  If this was for one or two clusters, it might be an OK way to
do it, but if this is for hundreds of systems, it would be better to
learn how to use the CLI and then script the changes.

Also, what is the problem with putting the notifier in the
ClusterService group?  I can't see how putting it in another service
group would provide you any particular benefit - the Notifier if going
to do the same things no matter which service group it is in.  Since it
is a cluster wide service, it makes sense that it should be in the
ClusterService group.

As for using "hastop -all -force", I tend to use it frequently on
production systems when I am doing something that requires stopping the
cluster, but does not require stopping the systems or the services
running on those systems (e.g. patching or upgrading VCS, or
reconfiguring GAB or LLT).  However, I would not do this to accomplish
something that can be done with CLI commands.

--

John Cronin