It is the last part of your post that I have found causes the most problems
in my experience: the need to propagate changes to all affected zones, in
order to keep them identical.

This same issue has led me to generally prefer putting a single copy of the
application binaries and configuration on shared storage, and move it with
the apps, rather having a local copy of the binaries and configuration on
each node in a cluster.

For those who don't know, full root zones take much longer to boot - similar
to a regular server boot.  Sparse root zones generally take a few seconds to
boot, at most.

Generally, with Solaris zones, patching is the biggest problem.  When you
are failing the zones around, it adds one more layer of complexity.