On Wednesday 13 May 2009 05:27:00 Hudes, Dana wrote:
> I don't care what tricks Linux plays or what they call it. From a
> network perspective, true bonding requires connection to the same
> switch/router and is done at the link layer. You don't have 2 IP
> interfaces, you have one. The bits go out round-robin. It requires
> support by the link partner/peer (i.e., you could do it with multiple
> crossover connections between two hosts which have the appropriate
> drivers).

No, you have 2 interfaces, and the IP binding jumps from one interface to the
other. This is very much different than how other modern operating systems
works (FreeBSD, Linux etc.) - They present a logical interface which hides
the underlying interfaces, and therefore let you configure a consistent name
in the application which requires to know the name of the interface (LLT, for
example).

> Solaris IPMP supports both active/active and active/passive (at least as
> of Solaris 10).
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4554/eobra?l=en&a=view&q=ipmp

I know how IPMP works, and we use it quite a lot, but IPMP cannot help me
solve the failure scenario I've described in my first post.

> Note that you can configure multiple VLANs into an IPMP group on one
> interface. This doesn't give you any failover/failback capability: if
> the link peer goes away, your link is down.
>
> With active/active, you can have IPMP load spreading. This is only
> effective with multiple IP destinations (even if those multiple IP
> destinations are logical interfaces on one NIC on one host).
>
> IPMP groups are strictly the same media type but you can (and I have)
> have a copper 100baseT port in the same group as a 1000baseF port:
> they're both Ethernet. This does not work to backup an ATM interface
> with an Ethernet interface etc. (I'm not sure if you could backup a LANE
> interface with a classical IP-over-ATM interface and I haven't any ATM
> switches to try it with these days).
>
> Since this is an IP-level redundancy and LLT doesn't use IP it's not
> going to help VCS.
>
> IPMP is a replacement / successor to Sun Enterprise Alternate Pathing
> (and is incompatible with it). In short, AP was for the Enterprise 10000
> only and provided a means of rerouting the connection to an HBA (whether
> for storage or network). It is replaced by IPMP and MPXIO (which is
> better than Veritas DMP but only in Solaris 10+).
>
> Bonding isn't really something I expect to see in an Ethernet
> environment but perhaps that's because I used to do it in an ATM
> environment years ago. I'll have to look into what modern Ethernet LANs
> do in this regard.

Bonding (read - failover link aggregation) really helps HA solutions, and
from "smarter" implementations of said feature, LLT can benefit a lot.