Veritas-HA subscribers,

SUMMARY:  An informal poll asked who has deployed a new install of VCS
(not an upgrade) in the last year.  To the many people who replied:
Thanks!
There are no real quantitative results, but some good insights into why
people use VCS:

> We continue to use VCS as a defacto standard because of its maturity,
> features and wide-spread admin knowledge within the company.

> We never considered a hardware load balancing solution for any of the
> re-architecting or initiatives.  VCS (and related products) provides us
> with a reasonably integrated platform where Windows and Unix admins can
> help each other with a variety of system and service management tasks;
> substituting a HW load balancer appears to us as a personnel-expensive
> step.

> We have experience of running two other VCS clusters, which was an
> important consideration when choosing from various HA technologies.

> We chose to stick w/ a tried and true technology.

Most people appear to be using VCS to support one or more Oracle instances.
Oracle support has always been a primary market for VCS, and this appears
unchanged.  VCS is a good tool for this job, as a couple people noted:

> In most cases we use VCS for Database servers and for application servers
> we use load balancers.  So both solutions are useful for us.

> Hardware load balancers do not replace Cluster Ware like VCS.  Maybe only
> in some sort of application or web sense (that's where a load balancer
> should've been used to begin with).

Several people said they are using VCS with GCO for clustering between
geographically separate sites or for remote business continuity sites.

No one said they are implemented VCS Traffic Director in the last year.

One person commented on the veritas-ha list being quiet recently:

> Maybe some of the weak traffic has been due to a down economy and less
> money being spent; more technical issues come as your cluster nodes are
> increasing or you are creating new clusters, not so much if you just let
> a working cluster just sit and run (which VCS is good at).  Plus, there
> hasn't been a major VCS upgrade in a while, just the 5.0->5.1 that came
> recently.

In comparison to the veritas-bu (NetBackup) list, where a fair percentage
of the traffic deals with version upgrade issues, the lack on traffic on
the veritas-ha list could be seen as a good thing.

-Scott