On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:39:30AM -0400, Everett Henson wrote:

> Thanks Gene. I understand it's possible to import the group manually,
> but the discussion here was around how VCS would behave normally,
> without manual intervention.

You're talking about a system designed to prevent problems in failure
situations.  If everything is happy and healthy, it wouldn't be needed.
Older versions of VCS didn't have fencing and things worked okay most
of the time.

> Wouldn't a vxdg -C to clear the private region give the server
> with the group already imported heartburn? Would it allow both
> servers simultaneous access to the storage?

Both servers will assume they have exclusive control over the data and
will begin writing information.  Yes, eventually the first server will
run into problems, but possibly not before corrupting the filesystem
and/or the disk group.  I did some tests like this (*years* ago) and
managed to end up with a disk group that I couldn't import.

> BTW, We are using two private interconnects as well as a link-lowpri already.

As long as the cluster is healthy and you don't have split-brain, then
it won't try to import on two.  The fencing is more robust in those
situations where things are unhealthy.

--
Darren