Andy,

        As long as your cabling meets the ethernet standards, and tests
out to the standards you should be fine.

        I recently worked on multiple cluster setup (a dozen or so
clusters, 5 nodes each) where each server's heartbeat connection went
through a patch panel back to the core switches. And further, since we
used 2 heartbeats the networking team setup 2 VLAN's. Heartbeat 1 on each
node used one VLAN, and heartbeat 2 on each node used the other VLAN. All
the clusters shared those same VLAN's - we just had to make sure each
cluster had a separate cluster id.

        You really should have no problems as long as the wiring meets
standards.

                Bryan

<a...@colb.com>
Sent by: veritas-ha-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
07/13/2011 11:45 AM

veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-ha] GAB and LLT cabling

Dear List Members,

We are redoing our datacenter wiring to add lots more structure. Within
this datacenter we have several Windows and Solaris VCS 5.x multinode
clusters. Currently, the heartbeat (GAB/LLT) switches for these clusters
are located within the same rack or at most 1 rack distant from the
servers they are monitoring, and those switches are directly cabled to
those servers.

We are considering consolidating all switches within the network racks,
not the server racks. This means that the heartbeat switch cabling would
attach to a rack patch panel, then a 40-foot cable run to the network rack
patch panel, then to its heartbeat switch.

Does anyone have positive or negative experience with heartbeat switches
patch-panel-separated from the servers they are monitoring?  In the best
of all worlds it would be great to have no patch panel connections between
server and switch, so I'm looking for real world experience with the use
of intermediate patch panel cabling. Are there capacity or extensibility
"gotchas"?  In particular, if we grow the clusters to 5 or 6 nodes, will
the patch-panel approach fail?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Andy Colb
Investment Company Institute

<FONT size=2><BR>
DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any
attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company
accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.</FONT>