Strange.
Here was the first time with the "set -x" .
Now, I did see 2 things that I corrected:

1)  tqsw volume did not exist in Veritas but had an entry in /etc/vfstab --
Commented out
2)  swapvol did not have a dump device configured -- Corrected

I booted cleanly after fixing the above 2.
I guess I do not understand what these 2 would have to do with starting var
volume.  Doesn't seem right.

I see a return code of zero for the vxrecover -n -s .

Something to do with swapvol.

-----------
startvols= swapvol rootvol var opt crash sar Tivoli tqdata tqsw vol01 vol02
+ [ -n  ]
+ read dev rdev mpoint fstype more
isdumpdev=
+ expr /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/optsave : /dev/vx/dsk/[^/]*/\(.*\)
vol=optsave
startvols= swapvol rootvol var opt crash sar Tivoli tqdata tqsw vol01 vol02
optsave
+ [ -n  ]
+ read dev rdev mpoint fstype more
+ exec
+ [ -n swapvol ]
+ [ ! -x /usr/sbin/dumpadm ]
+ [ -n  swapvol rootvol var opt crash sar Tivoli tqdata tqsw vol01 vol02
optsave ]
+ ugettxt -s INFO starting special volumes (${startvols} )... vxvmshm:3247
startvols= swapvol rootvol var opt crash sar Tivoli tqdata tqsw vol01 vol02
optsave
VxVM  INFO V-5-2-3247 starting special volumes ( swapvol rootvol var opt
crash sar Tivoli tqdata tqsw vol01 vol02 optsave )...
+ vxrecover -n -s swapvol rootvol var opt crash sar Tivoli tqdata tqsw
vol01 vol02 optsave
VxVM vxrecover ERROR V-5-1-929 Record tqsw: Not in any disk group
+ ugettxt -s WARNING Some special volumes could not be started vxvmshm:3236
VxVM  WARNING V-5-2-3236 Some special volumes could not be started
+ exit 0
/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/swapvol: No such device or address
The /var file system (/dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var) is being checked.
Can't open /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var
/dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

WARNING - Unable to repair the /var filesystem. Run fsck
manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var). Exit the shell when
done to continue the boot process.

Michael Warnock
UTS/x38031

                  Darren
                  Dunham
                  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  s.com>               Veritas-vx@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
                  Sent by:                                              cc
                  veritas-vx-b
                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
                  an.eng.aubur         Re: [Veritas-vx] Encapsulated
                  n.edu                volume won't start

                  10/26/2006
                  02:34 PM

> After about 50+ upgrades to 4.1 -- I have noticed on 3 boxes that var
> volume will not start.
>
> During reboot I get the standard error ( see below )
>
> Trying just to fsck /var stated  -- Device not found
>
> -------
> The /var file system (/dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var) is being checked.
> Can't open /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var
> /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
> /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>
> WARNING - Unable to repair the /var filesystem. Run fsck
> manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var). Exit the shell when
> done to continue the boot process.

Odd.  No messages about volumes prior to this?

Looks like /etc/rcS.d/S35vxvm-startup1 would normally be responsible for
starting /var if it's a separate filesystem.  Double check that the
/etc/vfstab looks correct.

You might stick a 'set -x' early in the startup file to at least get
output printed to see what it's doing.  It should fire off a
vxrecover -n -s var and log a message if that command fails.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message,
including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the
property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the
individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient
or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or
distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.