Hi,

The following is the vxprint output of 4 volumes in a diskgroup, dg01.

# vxprint -hvt
Disk group: dg01

V  NAME         RVG/VSET/CO  KSTATE   STATE    LENGTH   READPOL   PREFPLEX UTYPE
PL NAME         VOLUME       KSTATE   STATE    LENGTH   LAYOUT    NCOL/WID MODE
SD NAME         PLEX         DISK     DISKOFFS LENGTH   [COL/]OFF DEVICE   MODE
SV NAME         PLEX         VOLNAME  NVOLLAYR LENGTH   [COL/]OFF AM/NM    MODE
SC NAME         PLEX         CACHE    DISKOFFS LENGTH   [COL/]OFF DEVICE   MODE
DC NAME         PARENTVOL    LOGVOL
SP NAME         SNAPVOL      DCO
EX NAME         ASSOC        VC                       PERMS    MODE     STATE

v  volmir1      -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   901775360 SELECT
volmir1-02 fsgen
pl volmir1-02   volmir1      ENABLED  ACTIVE   901775376 STRIPE   3/32     RW
sv volmir1-S01  volmir1-02   volmir1-L01 1     286632832 0/0      1/1      ENA
sv volmir1-S02  volmir1-02   volmir1-L02 1     13958960 0/286632832 1/1    ENA
sv volmir1-S03  volmir1-02   volmir1-L03 1     286632832 1/0      1/1      ENA
sv volmir1-S04  volmir1-02   volmir1-L04 1     13958960 1/286632832 1/1    ENA
sv volmir1-S05  volmir1-02   volmir1-L05 1     286632832 2/0      1/1      ENA
sv volmir1-S06  volmir1-02   volmir1-L06 1     13958960 2/286632832 1/1    ENA

v  volmir1-L01  -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   286632832 SELECT   -        fsgen
pl volmir1-P01  volmir1-L01  ENABLED  ACTIVE   286632832 CONCAT   -        RW
sd dg0101-02    volmir1-P01  dg0101   0        286632832 0        sdd      ENA

v  volmir1-L02  -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   13958960 SELECT    -        fsgen
pl volmir1-P02  volmir1-L02  ENABLED  ACTIVE   13958960 CONCAT    -        RW
sd dg0104-02    volmir1-P02  dg0104   0        13958960 0         sdg      ENA

v  volmir1-L03  -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   286632832 SELECT   -        fsgen
pl volmir1-P03  volmir1-L03  ENABLED  ACTIVE   286632832 CONCAT   -        RW
sd dg0102-02    volmir1-P03  dg0102   0        286632832 0        sde      ENA

v  volmir1-L04  -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   13958960 SELECT    -        fsgen
pl volmir1-P04  volmir1-L04  ENABLED  ACTIVE   13958960 CONCAT    -        RW
sd dg0105-02    volmir1-P04  dg0105   0        13958960 0         sdh      ENA

v  volmir1-L05  -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   286632832 SELECT   -        fsgen
pl volmir1-P05  volmir1-L05  ENABLED  ACTIVE   286632832 CONCAT   -        RW
sd dg0103-02    volmir1-P05  dg0103   0        286632832 0        sdf      ENA

v  volmir1-L06  -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   13958960 SELECT    -        fsgen
pl volmir1-P06  volmir1-L06  ENABLED  ACTIVE   13958960 CONCAT    -        RW
sd dg0106-02    volmir1-P06  dg0106   0        13958960 0         sdi      ENA

The 8 volume output is exactly the same, except, now it has  2 volumes
per diskgroup. We didn't check the vxstat during the performance run.

FWIW, Vertas Storage Foundation version 4.1 is used in these runs. As
I mentioned in my original post, we didn't use any tuning options (if
any) yet. We are also thinking of using VxFS and see if that is going
to make any difference at all. I would love to try if there is any
tuning option available both at the volume manager and the filesystem
layer.

thanks.

senthil