From: Rajiv Gunja [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 8:57 PM
To: Hudes, Dana
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; veritas-vx@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-vx] could multiple filesystems dent performance?

I agree with most of what Dana has to say about this. I would differ in
advise on point 4. If your SAN is EMC or Netapps (hope not), then I
would say let the SAN do all the mirroring for you.

[Hudes, Dana] That's what I said: let the SAN do the mirroring. Let the
big fancy expensive SAN controller do the work for you.  This is not
some little NetApp filer x86 box in disguise. Some people who have a
connection to two SANs (not just two FC networks but to two distinct
pools of disks) like to have their host do the mirroring between SANs,
citing reliability issues with replication between SAN controllers.
Nobody I've heard of does striping between SANs.

With bigger databases ( greater than 2 TB ), you need need all the CPU
cycles and IO over FC to your database.

Since you mentioned Sybase, if you are planning to have raw devices, the
better, thats what we did at my company before we moved to Oracle.

[Hudes, Dana] Raw devices are a PITA you have to rely on the application
keeping integrity of the data.  While usually we do rely on the DBMS for
backup of its data, in that we want it to dump the database, nonetheless
when you bypass the filesystem you have no idea as an admin what's going
on in there.

Keeping Logs and binaries separate is a good idea at many levels, true
it will slow down your boot up time or time to recover when the system
crashes, but it will sure separate out the traffic.

[Hudes, Dana] I'd have thought it was obvious that application binaries
aren't on a filesystem used by the application for its data.

Make sure when you configure your SAN, to have as many LUNs, extra FC
cards and split your databases, than having couple of large files.

[Hudes, Dana] LUNs have nothing to do with number of FC cards. One is
logical the other physical. Database splitting is a DBA question and is
a function of access patterns (read mostly, write mostly, sequential vs.
random etc.)

If you have never worked with ZFS or Veritas 5, test it out for a few
months before rushing it into production. There is a learning curve and
Veritas 5 has its own features, which you may or may not use.

[Hudes, Dana] ZFS has its own quirks. One of which is that once you give
a device to a pool in a "concat" layout it won't let you take it away
even if its not used. There is no shrinking of filesystems to free up
the device its more like its auto-striped across everything.

Good Luck

-GGR
Rajiv G Gunja

On 8/14/07, Hudes, Dana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

1. Given that you bought a SF license, presumably your are using 5.0, I
would look into the Databse Edition add-on to the Enterprise license  I
would not use ufs I would use vxfs with the DB edition
2. This T2000, I hope yoiu are using Solaris 10 update 3 not earlier and
that you applied the July firmware updare I think its 6.04 (depending on
your timeframe to go live you may want to go with update 4 due late this
month)
3. Sun claims that ZFS outperforms ufs and vxfs. ZFS can do either or
both the volume manager or filesystem role (you can put zfs on a VxVm
device). With a SANN ZFS lacks the Array Support Libraries that Veritas
has to ostensibly improver performance by tighter integration with the
SAN controller
4. Generakky unless you different storage requirements (layout ,
options) I try to keep to fewer volumes. Now you may want to split the
database table space into separate volumes but only if you are using
separate LUNs that the SAN maps to separate disk groups. If you afford
it your index and table space will perform better with 1+1 ie mirror
layout (in the SAN do not mirror or stripe LUNS from the same SAN pool
inVeritas, use concat) but cost wise you get decent performance with 7+1
or 6+2 layout (RAID 5 or "6") and you do not pay for double the disk
space
5 database logs I thow onto their own volume/filesystem on a separate
LUN mapped to different disks than table space or indices

6. If you have multipe databases that are not used by same end users (or
equivalent of Oracle instances) then if you can get them each their own
LUN mapped to different disks you may have slightly better performance

Oltp dnms is not same disk +/o pattern as a data warehpuse. I am
unfamiliar with your autosys application and the load it places on the
system nor your budget constraints or reponsiveness equirements and what
drives them beyond greedy impatient users and DBAs