From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul Keating
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:28 AM
To: Darren Dunham; Veritas-vx@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-vx] Drive type unknown Solaris 10

The OP indicated he's using WMS100. HDS modular arrays will allow the
disk to be seen from either controller(service processor).
>From what I've read in this thread, the Clariion requires a host request
via the failover path to "switch" the LUN ownership, which would explain
why the secondary controller would advertise the disk to the host as
"unknown".

I don't know the Clariion well, so excuse me if it behaves the same as
below and the result seen is merely a function of VxVM.
The HDS arrays aren't quite the same, in that they are not purely
"active/passive", but rather "active/active **with LUN affinity**".

What this means is that while the primary controller has exclusive
control of the LUN, any request for the disk can been serviced via
either controller, at any time, and the disks are FULLY
visiable/available to the host via either controller at anytime.

However, if you access the disk via the secondary controller, the
secondary controller acts as a proxy and passes the IO over to the
primary controller via the array's backplane (this is known an a LUN
trespass) to service the request. The primary controller then returns
the response to the secondary controller to forward back to the host. If
the host maintains constant IO to a LUN via the LUN's non-owning
controller for a dterminate amount of time, the array will transfer
ownership of the LUN to the seoncadry controller.

There is a HUGE performance penalty associated with operating in this
state, particularly if the LUN belongs to a RAIDset where all the other
LUNs on that RAIDset are owned by the other controller.

This causes no end of grief with multipath management software that
doesn't explicitly understand HDS' "LUN affinity" model.
HDS tags "disks" with the appropriate metadata so that the multipath
software can interpret which device is the proper one to communicate
with. This is probably handled by the VRTSHDS-DF600-apm &
VRTSHDS-DF600-asl packages the OP posted.

So....all this to say that if the disks are showing up as "unknown",
then this must be a specific "obscurity" laid over the disks by VxVM,
since the HDS array will advertise the disk properly via ALL available
paths.

Paul

--

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans
délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.